It’s been a while since I’ve posted a sewing update. After making Halloween costumes I switched gears to making a 3rd birthday dress for Sydney.
I used the Oliver and S music box jumper pattern in size 2T. Like most O+S patterns it is a thoughtful easy to construct piece. For people who have a fear of buttons and button holes this would not be the pattern for you…6 button holes for this dress!
The fabric was a nice warm purple flannel (her favorite color!) I picked up while visiting Kansas City at the quilt shop right next to my parents house. If I lived that close to a fabric store…yeeeks…danger! Thankfully I was able to pull up the pattern on my iPhone and buy everything I needed at the store so that when I got home I knew I didn’t have to figure out when/how/where I would go to find buttons, threads and the like!
Next up was a piece for Ingrid for her 6-month photo shoot. I used the Pierrot Tunic pattern from Made-by-Rae with some alterations to make the sleeves and bodice less full.
It turned out OK. I love this fabric (123 Play With Me Elephants by STOF of Denmark) which I also picked up at the quilt shop back home. I went a little too far on taking fullness out of the sleeves so I don’t think this will last Ingrid much longer because it’s kinda hard to get her into it. I could probably salvage it by making a button placket in the back to create an opening…which I may do to get some more time out of this tunic.
Lastly, for Christmas I got a new cutting table!! Yay!!!
My previous one was flimsy and wobbly and irritated me each time I used it, so I asked for a new one for Christmas. I love the new set up, although not as tall as my old table, it is much more sturdy. I figure I will eventually adjust to the height as it becomes more familiar. Since I had a new toy and some time on my hands with the holiday I wanted to play so I bought the newly released Geranium Dress pattern from Made-By-Rae.
Since I’m having a love affair with the elephant fabric I decided to use every last scrap of it that I could and I managed to barely squeak out the bodice for this dress for Sydney.
The bottom portion is a simple baby whale corduroy that I had in my stash. I tossed around using a grey linen, but since it is still winter and we have a few more months of cold weather upon us, corduroy was more logical. She probably will grow out of this by the time summer comes around anyways. I made a size 2T but used a 3T in length. I hope Sydney likes it! This is the first dress I’ve done with side seam pockets. I bet she will look adorable in it.
This pattern has a lot of different options so I’m sure it will be come a quick staple! I can’t wait to experiment more with it and other things that are on my to-sew list.