I’ve had some requests to post more of the Thai food recipes we use; next up is Green Curry. We make this often and freeze it so we can enjoy it later. Although I’ve posted how to make the curry paste you can also buy cans of curry paste at reputable Thai Markets (those in the DC/MD area I go to Hung Phat) to save yourself some time (and the hassle of getting jalapeno oil off your food processor).
Green Curry Paste
5 green Thai chili peppers
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (stems included)
8 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped shallots or red onion
1/4 cup chopped lemongrass*
5 thin slices galanga**
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp shrimp paste
- To adjust heat/spice level remove some seeds from the jalapenos and Thai chili peppers (I do half and half).
- Combine all ingredients into a blender and process til smooth (can add some water to make smooth).
- Divide into 1/4 cup portions and freeze.
Green Curry with Chicken and Bamboo Shoots
2 cups coconut milk
1/4 cup green curry paste (as above, or use canned paste. Maesri brand is spicy good)
3 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fish sauce***
3 Tbs sugar
1 cup julienned bamboo shoots
1/2 cup coconut cream****
6 kaffir lime leaves (optional, hard to find)
1/4 Thai basil leaves, chopped
two red chili, thinly sliced
- place coconut milk and curry paste in a pot, heat to boiling then add chicken, fish sauce and sugar. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the bamboo shoots and simmer for 2 more mins.
- Add the coconut cream and stir to combine
- Add lime and Thai basil leaves. Garnish with red chili slices and serve.
* lemongrass is found shredded in freezer
** galanga is from the ginger family. You can find it in chunks (size of thumbs) in the freezer section of most Asian marts
*** see my Pad Thai post to read about fish sauce
**** coconut cream is thicker/sweeter than coconut milk it can be found in freezer or canned near the coconut milk.