I haven’t sewed much this winter. My space isn’t heated and it gets cold fast. It’s also directly under Sydney’s bedroom which hinders me from fiddling during her light-sleep nap-time. I’ve had a few projects here and there that I’ve fiddled with, though my last big project was the dress I did for Sydney’s 1-year photo shoot.
First up was a tu-tu for a friend whose family of 3 became a family of 4 over the holidays. I think it’s very important to give gifts to both children when visiting the arrival of a #2 so that no one feels left out. This was super simple to make by basting a few layers of tulle, gathering them up, sewing them together and then attaching them to some ribbon. I ran a piece of elastic through the ribbon so we have a wee bit of room for growth too.
I’ve also been hard at work on some slings. Whenever I use mine with Syd I get lots of requests. I hope to post a tutorial on how I make my slings soon.
And Friday night while Royce was sleeping in preparation for his 11pm shift I made Sydney a wee tiny purse to carry around. She has a few ‘purses’ at day care that she totes around so I thought she may want one for home. I just traced out a shape and went with it. I added some pleating detail to the front and lined it entirely. And since I have so much tulle lying around this purse got some much-needed purse bling so common these days on the run-ways.
A few days ago I ordered a bunch of fabric online with hopes that it would inspire me to make things during any random down-time if I already had all the items ready-at-hand. It worked! I put together this skirt for Syd yesterday out of a yummy baby wale corduroy. I used the super simple pattern for the Sailboat skirt from Oliver + S. And thanks to a comment I read somewhere from another sewer I just used the same thread I used for the top-stitching to sew the entire garment together (tsk-tsk I know for not using matching thread for the seams…but there is nothing more I hate than switching thread all the time!). This style isn’t the most flattering for Syds body type (ahem; big belly) but oh well…it’s still super cute anyways! This pattern goes up to a 3T so it will be making a repeat appearance as she grows. I may even try my wits at the top someday too!
Lastly, I was feeling a bit guilty that I had made 2 big sister tu-tus and hadn’t yet made one for Sydney so I threw one together for her last night. I used a satin ribbon for this one and learned my lesson…stick with the grosgrain…it’s easier to sew!
I finally upgrade my camera to the Nikon D90 and I’m in love love LOVE. It’s so much better than my D40, but I’m glad I didn’t start with the D90 because I think it’s too overwhelming for a starter DSLR. I’ve been taking lots of pictures this weekend so go to Flickr and check them out.